Grilled rainbow trout is a fresh and flavourful dish that the whole family will enjoy.
It’s quick and easy to prepare, and it’s one of the healthiest diet choices you can make. It’s a great source of protein that is high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids, B6 & B12, and Niacin (B3)! Follow along with award-winning chef, Chris Pyne to make this delicious recipe.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Total: 25 minutes
What you will need:
- Clean gutted Rainbow Trout from Hamilton’s Fish Farm
- Something to scale the fish with (you can use the back of a kitchen knife if you don’t have a fish scaler)
- Butchers twine
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- Your favourite fresh veggies and herbs to put in the trout
How to make it:
- Prepare the fish. Scale the fish over the sink, running cold water to rinse the scales off as you go. Start at the tail and work your way toward the mouth. Give it a final rinse once you have the majority of the scales off. Pat the fish dry with paper towel.
- Wash and roughly chop your fresh veggies and herbs. Toss them in olive oil and salt to taste.
- It’s ready to be stuffed! Load all your ingredients into the trout’s cavity.
- Tie the fish with butcher’s twine. This step can be tricky, but it’s important to ensure your ingredients don’t fall out and the flavour gets imparted into the flesh while cooking. Start by unwinding about two feet of twine. Place the twine under the trout’s head and tie a tight double knot. Next, pull a length of twine out away from the fish and create a large loop. Slide the loop over the head and pull it tight about half an inch from the first knot. Repeat this step until you have tied loops down the whole length of the fish. Once you get to the tail, cut your twine, leaving about four inches of excess length. Tie the loose strands from each end together to secure it.
- Season the fish with salt and pat it in.
- Now, it’s ready to hit the grill! Place your trout on the grill and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side on medium/high heat.
- Once the skin is crispy, you can cut the string off and plate your flavourful and healthy creation!