Grilled rainbow trout is a fresh and flavourful dish that the whole family will enjoy.
Pan-fried rainbow trout is a quick and delicious dish for any time of year. It’s easy to prepare, and it’s a healthy diet choice too. Trout is a great source of protein that is high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids, B6 & B12, and Niacin (B3)!
Follow along with award-winning chef, Chris Pyne to make this delicious recipe.
To get the freshest, Ocean Wise certified, 100% sustainable rainbow trout, start off with a trip to Hamilton’s Fish Farm in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia. We love cooking with this fish because it’s always fresh and always delicious!
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Total: 20 minutes
What you will need:
- Rainbow Trout filet from Hamilton’s Fish Farm
- Knife and cutting board
- Salt to taste
- Fresh thyme (or whatever herbs you would like)
- Olive oil
- Frying pan and a fish spatula
How to make it:
- Prepare the fish. Trim the belly off, square the fish off, and remove the skin. The trick is to make a small cut at the tail end of the fish to act as a handle. This will allow you to grip your fish and smoothly run your knife down the length of the fish, separating the flesh from the skin.
- Season the fish with salt and pat it in.
- Heat the olive oil in your frying pan on high heat.
- Place your trout in the pan with the inside flesh of the fish down. To get a beautiful golden-brown sear with tons of flavour, don’t move the fish around once it’s in the pan.
- When you begin to see some browning on the edges of the filet, turn the heat down to medium.
- Add the butter and fresh thyme into the pan. This will impart a lot of flavour into the fish without overpowering it.
- Turn the heat to medium/high.
- Once the butter is lightly brown and bubbling, begin spooning it over the trout.
- Turn the heat off and flip the fillet. Baste it one last time and squeeze your lemon over it.
- Now you can plate your delicious creation, pouring some of the buttery goodness over the trout. This fish is so flakey and flavourful – you’re going to love it!
Loving this recipe? Post a photo of your grilled trout and tag us on Facebook @HamiltonsFishFarm, and Instagram @hamiltonsfishfarm.