If you’re looking for a dish that will be a crowd-pleaser among your dinner guests, look no further! This baked garlic-y trout and fresh market salad is packed full of flavour and is a fan favourite.
Did we mention it’s also a great source of protein that is high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids, B6 & B12, and Niacin (B3)?
For guaranteed fresh, Ocean Wise certified, and 100% sustainable rainbow trout, start with a trip to Hamilton’s Fish Farm in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia. We love cooking with this fish because it’s always fresh and always delicious!
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Total: 55 minutes
- Serves 4
What you will need:
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 trout fillets from Hamilton’s Fish Farm, skinned
- Arugula or mixed greens
- 2 avocados
- Choice of in-season market veggies
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for garnish
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the tomatoes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the garlic and basil over the tomatoes and season well with black pepper. Drizzle 1 tbsp of the olive oil over and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Place the fillets on the baking tray with the tomatoes and return the tray to the oven for 15 more minutes.
- Test the fish with a fork to check it is cooked – if it flakes easily it is ready.
- While the tomatoes and trout are in the oven, begin preparing the salad. Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit, peel, and slice into thin pieces. Dice other veggies.
- Prepare the dressing. In a small pitcher, whisk the lime juice with the remaining olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Divide the arugula or mixed greens among four dinner plates. Top with the avocado slices and fresh veggies, and drizzle on the dressing. Add the cooked tomatoes over the salad and pour over excess cooking juices from the pan.
- Using a spatula, carefully lift the cooked trout fillets off the baking tray and place them on your serving plater.
- Flake the trout into bite-size pieces and divide among the plates.
- Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
Original recipe from British Trout Association