As the colder months are drawing near, there’s nothing better than warm soup to fill your belly. This easy, one-pot rainbow trout corn chowder made with fresh fish from Hamilton’s Fish farm, is a definite winner this season.
Don’t forget to purchase your filets from Hamilton’s Fish Farm for the freshest, Ocean Wise certified, and 100% sustainable rainbow trout.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Total: 30 mins
What you will need:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup red or yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups yellow or white potatoes, diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- A singular rainbow trout fillet from Hamilton’s Fish Farm, skin removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: ¼ cup fresh cream
- Fresh chopped basil for garnish
How to make it:
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook, until softened.
- Stir in the flour and cook, for about 1 minute.
- Combine chicken broth and potatoes and Increase the heat to medium/high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium/low and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn kernels and simmer, until potatoes are perfectly tender.
- When the potatoes are cooked, place the trout pieces on top of the soup, and cover for about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, to your preference.
- Optional: add ¼ cup of cream at the end of cooking for a creamy chowder.
- Spoon the hot chowder into bowls and garnish with chopped fresh basil.